Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Unaccustomed Earth

The upside of being sick in bed is that you can read... so I have been reading my latest favorite "Unaccustomed Earth" and it is an emotional journey for me. I can identify with a lot of the things and can foresee many of the challenges to be when you want to raise children in a foreign culture... the values, the religious beliefs, the social customs - everything you learned growing up leave you unprepared to raise kids in a foreign land. And the challenges your children will inevitably face in trying to combine what they see in practice every day around them and what their parents talk about. The big question is how do you combine the best of both worlds... will that be ever possible for us?

On a more immediate note, Om's fever is lower today. We have been on the phone with Dr. K till 11 last night. He is an incredibly kind doctor. Several ice cold baths later, 104 degrees are finally backing down. The thing is that Ashis could not manage to give Om these baths, the boy just won't go in... so, I was holding him in my arms sitting on a little stepstool in the bathtub and pouring the water little by little over both of us... somehow, the thought of mommy taking the cold baths with him comforted him and that's all I needed. So, now I'm croaking like a frog... huh!

Until then...ribbit!!!

1 comment:

The Lonely Scrapbooker said...

Just letting you know that I'm a fan of yours! I love your style and your journaling and you have a beautiful family. I just wish I could see more of your layouts in CK or SBE.
Are you going to do a book? (I hope so!)